Friday, June 10, 2011

A Maine Attraction

So it's four days in. 45 miles completed, yet still a long ways away from my first concrete stopping point in Monson, ME. Lucky for me, there's a small lodge not too far from the trail where I stopped for today called Whitehouse landing. (sorry no pictures this post, don't have the battery power)

They say going southbound is a hard and lonely route, but a crew of people started the same day I did, so we've all sort of formed a party of sorts. 2 couples (one couple on a through hike, the other just along for a week section hike), myself, and an ex marine (bronze star winner, 11 years in) with a 75 lb pack we've nicknamed "Overload." I gotta say though, he's got a really sweet water filter system; 4 liters in 3 minutes, a far cry from my 4 hours per liter with tablets. Sticking with him, clean water is never in short supply.

Him and I have become fast friends, and today we both decided to take a detour to the lodge while the other couples pushed on farther into the wilderness. We'll probably see them again in Monson, but it didn't take much to decide to opt for a short day once we heard the lodge sold 1 lb burgers.

We also get to shower, do laundry, pick up supplies, stay overnight in a bunk house AND get an all you can eat breakfast! $45 for the burger, room and amenities, but hey, after 4 days on the trail, definitely worth it.

I'll update as often as I have cell phone service, and post pictures when I can. but that probably won't be for another few days from now.

But I am still alive, and have not encountered any bears as of yet. Since, let's face it, that's what people expect from me out here :-P

Later peoples,

--Adrian

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're surviving in my homeland. Screw bears, I'd watch out for the moose, they don't eff around, but bring me back a bear rug lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you are doing well. Keep it up. Too bad Chris's mom is no longer in Maine. It would of been a good stop for a little RnR.

    ReplyDelete